Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Who likes BO?

The poster above received this in email and wanted to know IF it was true. She prefaces her entire post with it. (Not enough room for a screen shot here.) Then, Im assuming that the poster below mis reads the initial post and posts this about being racist.



Um. The original poster isn't racist at all. She just wanted to know if it was true. Hm. Maybe you are?

31 comments:

Flying Monkeys said...

I saw it after it was locked. I received the same email and was curious about it's validity as well, so I thought it was a good topic. I think anyone who actually read what Cathy wrote to preface the post knew she was asking for information not denouncing Muslims, or Barak for that matter.

Steph said...

I assumed FallinWoman had misread the post. She usually does not try to cause trouble.

Anonymous said...

I'm still amazed that people don't know about snopes! That would have answered any questions she had about it.

sasafrass97 said...

yeah, snopes rocks!

Carmen said...

Poor Cathy. I cannot fathom someone calling her a racist. I do think FallinWoman misread it, though. I'm glad Cathy posted that email so I can warn my friends and family about its circulation.

Anonymous said...

Cathy...CathyA? Surely it must be a different Cathy.

Lilly60 said...

I hope FallinWoman misread it, and didn't want to cause trouble. Cathy, myself, and others explained that Cathy was just curious, and not a raciest. I think that's when she let it go. (or is that when it got locked...)

Cathy A said...

Yah - me. Cathy A. That was my post. Knowing ZERO about politics and having the same level of knowledge about religions - I wanted information on whether what I received or not was valid information. (I don't just automatically assume what I receive is truth. Nor do I believe (automatically) what others say about someone/something.

I have heard of snopes, but never ever used it. I normally disregard all forwarded emails unless they are jokes. So, I have never had a reason to go to snopes. I will have to try to remember to just use that in the future, instead of asking others for input.

My intention was in no way to cause upset or offend anyone. And I am in no way, shape or form - a racist. I was totally taken aback at that post of FallinWoman. I truly hope that she just missed the first line of my post saying that I was asking for information on the validity of the claims in the email.

With all of the "drama" as of late on FF... I hope that she isn't a Lil Bucky fan and just assuming negative things about me.

Jadis said...

Yeah, about 3 seconds after I posted I got reported. Fun times. I really wish people couldn't hide behind anonymous reporting.

I'm kind of pissed that it got locked, because it could have been a really good debate. Not about Cathy's perceived racism, b/c it's not like she posted it as a "hey guys, check this cool informative email I just got".

I think it's kinda sad that people are actually getting emails of this nature and DON'T question it- just forward it off to the next person 'cause everything you get in an email forward is true. That, and the obvious xenophobic tone is ignored, or even agreed with.

Cathy A said...

Yah, I don't understand why it got locked. Anyone care to speculate as to which part of the charter I violated? I did not recieve any PMs from the mods about it. And asking them for an explanation is a waste of time - they don't ever answer.

Jadis - you got reported for your response on that post? What violation?

I also wish others couldn't report anonymously.

Jaymi said...

I won't vote for him! Why would I want someone running my country who won't even acknowledge the Pledge of Allegiance? Whatever.. I don't trust him one bit. Its not that I'm a racist either, I just don't want HIM trying to run this country.

Jadis said...

^ I just have to say that I'm not talking about Cathy agreeing with the forward or not questioning it- but obviously others are, as it's making the rounds.

Cathy A said...

"^ I just have to say that I'm not talking about Cathy agreeing with the forward or not questioning it- but obviously others are, as it's making the rounds."

Where is it making the rounds?

Lilly60 said...

WTF?!? Jadis you got reported?!? That sucks, I hate when people anonymously report.
I still don't understand why it got locked...maybe because you aren't supposed to post "hot topics" was that considered a hot topic?!?

~*~DawnSC~*~ said...

I'm pretty certain FallinWomen isn't a Lil Fucky fan. She probably misinterpreted what Cathy was asking.

Anyone that knows Cathy, would know that she wasn't being racist.

Jadis said...

It's making the rounds via email, and on other boards I have heard people allude to it.

Cathy- I don't know which one of those lovely subjective community policies I broke. Could be my use of the word f*ckwad, could be the fact that I think someone is an ass if they think that only one religion warrants a person being in office. I guess I'll never know 'cause that's just how FF rolls ;)

Cathy A said...

Lovely. Oh well. Guess someone has to be today's topic, huh?

Anonymous said...

Quote: "
pumpkin1006 said...

I won't vote for him! Why would I want someone running my country who won't even acknowledge the Pledge of Allegiance? Whatever.. I don't trust him one bit. Its not that I'm a racist either, I just don't want HIM trying to run this country."

You might want to get the facts straight before making any snap judgements. Not bashing you or anything, just pointing out that it wasn't the pledge, for one. To see an explanation of what happened, go here:
Obama Nabbed by the Patriot Police

Jadis said...

Cathy- it's the email in general that's making it's way around via email and MB's (not FF, although I have seen someone mention something about it)- definitely nothing about you :)

Haha- guess I was clear as mud, wasn't I?

Carmen said...

Cathy, I don't think you broke any rules, so I don't believe it was the original post that warranted the thread being locked. I think it was just the fact that the mods were trying to nip a potential argument in the bud before it happened. It's still ridiculous it got locked so quickly, though.

Jadis, I also think it's BS you got reported. People are so report happy these days.

Cathy A said...

Emily-thanks for posting that link! I had heard "murmurings" about that - that link cleared it up. :)

Jadis-thanks! Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Carmen-I hadn't thought of that! With everything that happened yesterday, that could be the case.

Me said...

I have to say that I got that "email" via MySpace some time ago and I made the same assumption about the person who sent it to me as FallinWoman made about CathyA... not saying that she or I were right in our assumptions - just that in the current sociopolitical milieu that is the USofA, it is not hard to see that "email" is being passed around to perpetuate the cycle of racism and fear.

Anonymous said...

Yes! My HTML game is strong!

Barb said...

Just so you know, many of those facts about Barack are true if you read his memoir. That email just twists them into something ugly when in reality, it's just part of who he is.

Ridiculous.

Andrea said...

I got that email on myspace as well and I checked it out on snopes, although I did talk to my bro about it before that, and he had no clue what I was talking about. I never thought the person who sent it to me was racist. I'm sure my bro didn't think I was racist for telling him what I had heard. I just thought it came from someone who didn't support Obama and was trying to give him some negative publicity. Nothing to go pointing fingers about. Damn. And I'm pretty sure you guys know how I feel about topics like that getting locked...so I'll refrain from comment.

Fertility Friend Foe said...

Too bad can't have friendly debate on FF.

Unknown said...

I hope she wasn't starting trouble. I am all for a spirited debate, but the name calling is over the top.

FallinWoman said...

I wrote the response that has everyone talking. I am still surprised that ANYONE could read that email and think it is anything but sensationalizism.

I am completely offended by the last part, that our counrty is one nation under God, but not the God of the Koran. This country was FOUNDED on the principals of religious freedom. If that sentence was the only one I read, I would know that this email is seriously slanted.

CathyA, I am sorry I jumped on you. I let my passion about this topic cloud my judgement. Clearly I handled it wrong, and for that I am sorry.

Shannon said...

I got that email from my SIL. I knew it was false but glad to see that others are checking facts before just believing a silly email forward.

Cathy A said...

I just wanted to let everyone know that FallinWoman did apologize to me, privately as well. I think the misunderstanding occured when she thought that I posted that as "my beliefs/thoughts". I accept her apology (both publicly and privately) and I think that we understand each other now. :) My apologies go out to her and to any others whom I may have offended - that thought those comments were "my comments".

Anonymous said...

Straight from BO:
"I've been to the same church — the same Christian church — for almost 20 years," Obama said, stressing the word Christian and drawing cheers from the faithful in reply. "I was sworn in with my hand on the family Bible. Whenever I'm in the United States Senate, I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. So if you get some silly e-mail ... send it back to whoever sent it and tell them this is all crazy. Educate."